One of the biggest causes of anxiety for people considering a divorce is the unknown expectations about the process. Elinor Robin explains in this Huffington Post article about some expectations to have:
- Expect the courts to move in strange ways — it’s not like TV portrays court.
- Expect that divorce will take you into uncharted waters where you will need extra support.
- Expect to enter a bizarre time warp — not everyone is at the same place at the same time emotionally or with decision making.
- Expect to feel like you are at a disadvantage — largely due to the relative speed of movement caused by #3.
- Expect change and expect more of the same —
- Expect that dislike for your soon-to-be-ex will be difficult to conceal.
- Expect a sense of failure (as to the failed relationship and the “wasted” years) and a sense of loss (of clarity, identity, connection and self-control).
- Expect that your children will be impacted by your divorce — mediation can help to minimize that.
- Expect that you’ll make mistakes — especially parenting and dating mistakes.
If you want to learn more about mediating your divorce, please contact me.